Thursday, September 24, 2009

Map of the Week-Dust in the Wind

So Australia has this big dust storm that turns the sky orange, snarls traffic and causes health hazards and all I can think about is whether or not I can get a good map out of it. Truth is there are few maps to be had. The news sites are more interested in these remarkable pictures.


Seems to me that a map showing the extent of the storm, the damage, traffic tie-ups, anything would be very interesting but no such luck. After spending way too much time searching I finally turned to the trusty old BBC and found some decent maps.



This map shows extent of the storm as well as it's presumed origins at Lake Eyre Basin, a "dusty" area of desert in South Australia.


Most of the satellite images I've seen do not have places labeled, making it difficult to understand the scale of what you're looking at. The above image could be a couple of miles or several hundred miles. Thankfully the BBC came through again and put labels at Sydney and Brisbane, as well as a scale bar. Yes, we're seeing over a thousand miles of dust!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of hombre who passions to seek revolutionary things. Presently I'm building my personalized solar panels. I'm managing it all by myself without the assistance of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only path to acheive this. I discovered a very awesome site which explains how to contruct solar panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not sure bout how precise the info given there is. If some people over here who had xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it will be great and I'd really value it, because I really take an interest in [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. U guys are the best.