Thursday, June 28, 2007

MOTW #81

The Newton (Mass.) TAB did a sloppy map showing the most popular college locations for graduating Newton High School Students It makes for a somewhat interesting pattern and also allows me to rant about careless cartography. I don't expect a cartographer in Mass. to know that Northfield, MN is south of Minneapolis but when they show Boston, Worcester and Dartmouth, Mass all being in the western part of the state then it starts to bug me.

I clipped out the Northeast section of the map for clarity and we only school we only lost Arizona, Tulane and Miami. I had attached a list of all the location numbers so you could see how bad some were but I'm not sure that's worth doing on a blog page.

This paper has used my maps in the past but I don't know who's responsible for this one.