Wednesday, March 28, 2018

New Hobby Part 2

Here's a color pencil map of West Africa I recently did based on the Times Atlas of the World.
By the time I got to the easternmost countries, the accuracy started to come off the rails. Ghana is way too narrow and I had to bend Benin to make it meet the corner of Niger. Here is a hastily done annotated version.
While gaining context it loses some of charm of the original. I might try to hand annotate it at some point.

In my previous post on this subject, I stated that I haven't done any hand drawn maps since childhood. However, I recently was cleaning up and found this watercolor painting I did in a college class. It was drawn from an atlas. I did this so long ago I don't remember the source but I think it was National Geographic. There was a page about the tectonic forces that created Pennsylvania's ridge and valley system with this map showing Blue and Second Mountain cutting through the Susquehanna River valley north of Harrisburg.

1 comment:

Arden Esteve said...

Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and informative. Square and Stationary Earth Map