Monday, September 4, 2023

Heat Islands of Philadelphia

Program Note: This month is Philadelphia month! Don't get too excited.  In the past I've done San Francisco Week and New Jersey Week. Much of that content was posted to Twitter. These things happen when I suddenly find a trove of information about a specific place. In this case I was doing some family geo-history studies (most of which took place in Philadelphia) and came across a bunch of unrelated but interesting maps. 

Since I have more to post than there are weeks in September, I will do a few off-day micro-posts. These are the kinds of things I used to put on Twitter back when that platform was still worth engaging with. Now you can see them here, and possibly on Mastodon. Being a hot week, I will start with a map of the hottest places in the city. As with so many other cities, these are also some of the lowest income and most poorly served, with few trees and parks.

This is from the Philadelphia Inquirer, though I've lost the original map link.
 

No comments: