Friday, June 7, 2013

More on Bike Sharing

I forgot to mention in my last post Oliver O'Brien's excellent bike share maps. These maps show live data about the availability of the stations for a large number of cities worldwide. Many of them are cities I didn't know had a bike share like San Antonio.
At the bottom are figures showing the number of full and empty docks. If you click a station you get a graph of the daily usage activity for each station. There are other options including animations of daily activity for each city. I like the red (full) to blue (empty) default color scheme...
but if you don't like it you can change it to numerous other color schemes such as "fiery." 
Below is Paris at 4:00 PM, confirming the pattern I saw when I was there in March; it's difficult to find a place to return the bike in the central part of the city in the middle of the day. There's a lot of commuting going on and the success of the system is making it difficult to find parking.


No comments: