Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Michigan Map Mania

 Maps are ubiquitous but I've never seen so many as on my recent trip to northern Michigan. They love their state's shape. It appears on everything (with or without the Upper Peninsula) from jewelry to buses to chairs

to lamps

to the obvious oven mitt.

There is even a Handmap Brewing Company.

Arriving at the airport in Traverse City you see these nice artistic map tiles of the surrounding bays and peninsulas on the bathroom walls.

The stores are full of map-centric merchandise. Here is a shelf of coasters at My Secret Stash.

Here are a couple of map themed glasses.

I bought this Tolkien themed shirt there.

The company TeeSeeTee -nice logo! -
has all kinds of great map themes including Dr. Suess,

and PacMan.

Another store. Momentum Outfitters has an impressive collection of woodcut maps of seemingly every lake, bay and island within a 500-mile radius. The underwater depths are kind of fascinating - to me anyway.

They also have these nautical chart bags.


There were many good maps along the way including this in the Mission Point Lighthouse,

and this nice map showing the past and present of Glen Haven in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore.

Part of this larger sign.

Even the ice cream place (Moomers) has maps you can pin.
One of my final stops was at 45th Parallel Park in Sutton's Bay, just for the geographic novelty of it.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

Great maps. Thanks. I am a Wolverine stuck in Buckeyeland. Michigan maps always make my heart warm. Except for one... I am a Michiganian. I am not a goose! :-)