Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Animated Map of Wikipedia Edits

Wikimedia Statistics produced this animated map showing edits to Wikipedia by language and location on what they refer to as a "typical day" - May 10th 2011. The animation starts at 12:15 GMT, giving it a European bias but you can move the clock ahead. I don't see an option to move the clock backwards to see more of what happens in Asia. Here is a screen shot. You can click on it to get to the animation but it may not work in some browsers.


You can also choose bubble maps or heat maps and see the distribution of edits in various languages. The background can change if you like to be distracted by gratuitous topography. I prefer the dark background. This colorful map shows the most edited language in each area.

4 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Very cool! I thought the Brits were really whuppin' on us, until I realized we were just all asleep.

Michael5000 said...

That must really corrupt the spatial pattern of edits. Now I feel like that whole animated map was a sham.

Dug said...

Well if nothing else it increases the numbers coming out of Kerala.

Dug said...

If you're looking up something non-controversial like the history of urban planning in Detroit (as I just recently did) you can probably trust Wikipedia. However, I wouldn't use it as my only source of information about Israel, politics or Jennifer Lopez.