Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Thirty Day Map Challenge 2022 - Days 10-16

This last week of the #30DayMapChallenge has felt a bit underwhelming but it had it moments, such as…

Day 10 - A Bad map

Many people had fun creating actual bad maps. I thought it would be interesting to see a map with “bad” written in a bunch of locations, which then made me think of Michael Jackson. This is a map of his 1988 “Bad” tour. Some maps just look better without a title IMHO.

Day 11 - Color Friday: Red

The red tide is back in parts of Florida so I drew a map of it.

Day 12 - Scale

A little fun with scale comparisons. Why Delaware and not Rhode Island, the smallest state? Mainly because Delaware’s somewhat compact shape shows up more clearly. Maybe also a bit of personal family connection bias.

Day 13 - 5 Minute Map

A map of Wyoming drawn on two sticky notes - that’s all.

Day 14 - Hexagons


Last year on hexagon day I created hexagons for the state of New York. Rather than make a new hex grid I reused this one. These are colored by mean elevation color as shown on OpenTopoMap. It was an interesting exercise using zonal statistics and image resampling. I could tell more but you’re already half asleep reading that last sentence.

Day 15 - Food and Drink


I got all the wineries worldwide from OpenStreetMap and had been playing with this type of blurred dot symbology. This data may show up again on a future day as I am looking for better ways to show all the regions of the world in one map. In the meantime this one focuses on the most prevalent wine production areas.

Day 16 - Minimal


As a frequent traveler on Amtrak, here is a minimal map of the Acela, chosen because there are fewer stations than on the standard Northeast Corridor routes. This is a bit of a strange hybrid process. Originally it was a hand drawn and labeled map but then I decided I hated my sloppily written labels so they got computer text. The only hand drawn element remaining is the line. I’m not sure how well this combination works but I like the way the text looks.

More self-indulgent fun next week!

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Your map 14 Hexagons reminds me of the New York State expansion board from [Settlers of] Catan. My son is into playing Catan, me not so obsessive, but the map element helps to enjoy it more!
Catan New York State