Thursday, November 2, 2023

Thirty Day Map Challenge 2023-Days 1 and 2

 

Yes it’s November and time for another 30 Day Map Challenge. As in previous years (see here for last year) I began with no real goal of completing it or much idea beyond the first few days. Also as in previous years I’m getting sucked in again. Only two days of action to report so far: here they are.

Day 1 - Points

Goals per game for each NHL team. Yes technically these are called goals, but for the players they register as points.

The puck sizing thing wasn’t a huge success but you get the idea. San Jose isn’t scoring much while Vancouver is. Teams have played less than 10 games so this is a very small sample size. Statistically and visually there’s not much anyone should take away from this other than me having fun with a pun and a bunch of hockey logos.

Day 2 - Lines

Here are the overlapping claims in the South China Sea (even the name is in dispute) from China, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei-marked out in yarn.


The yarn idea came about partially from last year’s South America map (Day 17 here) but also because I was having trouble drawing proper curves with my software. I like the idea of using soft lines for claims that many might consider absurd. Are those longitude lines? No, they’re the lines of a bad printer. I was going to photoshop them out but then decided I kind of like them.

Will there be more? Stay tuned. These are being posted daily on my Mastodon and Bluesky pages if you care (you probably need an account to see Bluesky).

No comments: